"This is part of a sponsored collaboration with Dove and DiMe Media. All opinions expressed are my own."
With Valentine's Day right around the corner, date nights are in full effect. For some, it's their first date with the person. As we all know, first dates can be exciting but also nerve wrecking at the same time. So many thoughts go racing through your head before the date even starts.
"What should I wear?"
"How should I act?"
"Act cool and don't let them see you sweat!"
Dating shouldn't be stressful. Dates are meant to be fun and enjoyable and if you're lucky, an opportunity to meet someone who you're compatible with and want to spend more time getting to know.
Here are 10 tips for the perfect first date:
1. Relax: First dates are always scary because you don't know what to expect. Just as much as you want to impress your date- they're on the same mission to impress you and are probably just as nervous as you are. Take a deep breath and visualize the date being a total success.
2. Dress Appropriate: You only get one chance to make a good first impression. Pick an outfit that not only makes you look great but also makes you feel great too. Put in extra effort on your appearnce but at the same time, make sure you are comfortable and not revealing too much. If you're having a hard time deciding what to wear, here's some advice: You can never go wrong with something black paired with cute accessories.
3. Be Confident: The number one quality most people find attractive is confidence. The way you present/express yourself can either make you seem interesting and appealing or cocky and boring. Most of the time the latter won't yield another date. People want to be around good energy and someone that can hold a conversation. A pretty face and a nice meal can only go so far. There is only one of you in this world, so make sure you showcase your best qualities
4. Be Yourself: Always be authentic! From the way you look to the way you carry yourself, it's important to never pretend to be someone you're not. Many women feel the need to dress a certain way or layer on a pound of makeup in hopes the man will find them attractive. If you're into makeup then it's totally fine to doll yourself up just a bit more for the date, but if that's not you, then there is no need for all that production. Keep it simple and classy.
5. Be Present: We live in a world filled with distractions and where everything revolves around posting and capturing the perfect Instagram moment. On a date, especially a first one, your phone shouldn't be anywhere near you- unless it's an emergency, of course. It's extremely rude to not have your full undivided attention directed to your date. Paying attention to what they have to say, is the whole point of being on a date. If your mind or eyes are focused on something (or someone else) then you're not giving the person- or yourself- the chance to see if it could possibly lead to something in the future.
6. Good Hygiene: Besides being present and making sure to say your please and thank yous, having good hygiene is crucial before, during and after your date. People who have poor hygiene- disheveled hair and clothes, body odor and bad breath are perceived negatively. Remember the whole first impression thing- well this is where it applies. Proper grooming, such as showering and shaving before your date can help you stay fresh and confident all night long.
If you're prone to sweating because of the nerves, using Dove Advanced Care Antiperspirant is a great solution. It offers 48 hours of odor and wetness protection plus it's NutriumMoisture formula and 1/4 moisturizers leave your underarms feeling soft and smooth.
I've been a user and promoter of Dove for many years now. It's the brand I use and trust for my beauty routine. Including for the many first dates I've had throughout the years.
Here is a 5 star review that can also attest to Dove's benefits:
“Not only did the scent last, the wetness protection did, too. This deodorant also has great moisturizing ability. I honestly think my underarm skin looks healthier after using it!”
Also, don't forget to wash your hands before eating food, after going to the bathroom, and after coughing or sneezing. Having good hygiene and manners goes a long way!
7. Don't Overshare: As much as it feels like you've known the person for years and are extremely comfortable with them, be careful on sharing too much too soon. As mentioned before, first dates should be light and fun. Serious topics should be left for later down the road. For now, laughing and having a good time is the only thing you should be worried about on your first date. Nothing more, nothing less.
8. Don't Drink Too Much: No one like a sloppy drunk... ever! Your standards, your morals (and quite possibly your clothes) are lost when you've had too much to drink. And as tempting as that may sound to some, getting drunk on a first date is not the smartest idea. A good number for the night should be two. There is no need to drink more. Besides needing to be alert in order to hold an intelligent conversation, you also need to be cautious of your surroundings. Never be too impaired that you lose sight of your good judgment for the night.
9. Show Respect: Always maintain respect for yourself and others. Set boundaries and make your intentions clear on the first date. If you're enjoying yourself great- show gratitude and express interest. If you're having an awful time, please have the common courtesy of treating your date with dignity and respect. The person probably spent a lot of time and money taking you out, the least you can do is stay the entire time. If a second date is suggested, politely decline. Never make anyone feel inferior or bad about themselves. Rejection is never easy but as long as you're honest and respectful, the person will understand and respect you even more.
10. Date, date, date! If the date went well, go on another one. If the date went horrible, go on another one (not with the same person-obviously). Just date! Whether you're looking to build a connection with someone or trying to find your life partner, you'll never find them if you're stuck at home.
Be confident, respectful and enjoy the dating experience. At the end, you'll either find someone amazing or have fun horror stories to share with your girlfriends over a big glass of wine. Either way, you're still winning!