I'm constantly browsing the Internet and reading books in search of new ways to improve my lifestyle and health. This is why I recently added lemon water to my daily morning routine. After learning about all the great benefits, I decided to give it a try. I was worried at first that I wasn't going to like the taste, but to my surprise, I actually enjoyed it and look forward to drinking it every morning. I'm fortunate that I'm able to sleep 8-9 hours a day (I know, please don't hate me) but somehow in the afternoons I always found myself getting tired or sluggish and in need of a nap. Since I don't drink coffee, I was looking for a pick me up substitute.
Enter lemon water to the rescue!
Besides improving my nutrition, I found that drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning has increased my energy level. I can't remember the last time I've taken a nap. Since faithfully drinking lemon water every morning for the past two months, I've noticed an improvement in my overall heath.
Some of the Benefits:
1. Boosts your immune system: Lemons are high in vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds. They’re high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure.
2. Balances pH: Drink lemon water everyday and you’ll reduce your body’s overall acidity. Lemon is one of the most alkaline foods around. Yes, lemon has citric acid but it does not create acidity in the body once metabolized.
3. Helps with weight loss: Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. It also has been shown that people who maintain a more alkaline diet lose weight faster.
4. Aids digestion: Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials. It encourages the liver to produce bile which is an acid that is required for digestion. Efficient digestion reduces heartburn and constipation.
5. Is a diuretic: Lemons increase the rate of urination in the body, which helps purify it. Toxins are, therefore, released at a faster rate which helps keep your urinary tract healthy.
6. Clears skin: The vitamin C component helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. Lemon water purges toxins from the blood which also helps keep your skin clear. It can actually be applied directly to scars to help reduce their appearance.
7. Freshens breath: Not only this, but it can help relieve tooth pain and gingivitis. The citric acid can erode tooth enamel, so make sure you dilute the lemon juice with a sufficient amount of water.
8. Relieves respiratory problems: Warm lemon water helps get rid of chest infections and halt those pesky coughs. It’s thought to be helpful for people with asthma and allergies too.
9. Keeps you Zen: Vitamin C is one of the first things depleted when you subject your mind and body to stress. As previously mentioned, lemons are full of vitamin C.
10. Helps kick the coffee habit: After taking a glass of warm lemon water, most people experience less cravings for coffee in the morning.
How I Prepare My Lemon Water:
The way you start your day is incredibly important. Try swapping your cup of coffee this week for a cup of warm lemon water instead. Who knows, you might have just met your new morning friend.