Whenever I go out to eat, and if it's on the menu, I typically order fried mozzarella sticks. They're my absolute favorite appetizer or snack. Sadly, not the most healthiest. Luckily, I found a way to still indulge in my cheesy obsession without all the unnecessary calories (and guilt).
Baked Wonton Mozzarella Sticks.
Instead of using regular mozzarella cheese, I incorporated Weight Watchers Light Cheese Sticks that I bought from my local Publix supermarket. I also replaced breadcrumbs for wonton wrappers and opted to bake them versus frying them. With these three easy swaps you'll cut a significant amount of calories without sacrificing the taste.
In less than 15 mins, you'll have a delicious healthier mozzarella cheese stick snack.
Make sure the cheese is frozen before placing in wonton wrapper. This will prevent the cheese from oozing out when baking.
After cheese sticks are wrapped, place in egg wash and roll them into a garlic, basil and parmesan cheese mixture (this step is optional).
Place in 400 degree oven and bake until golden brown.
Serve with your favorite marinara sauce and enjoy!
- Mozzarella Light String Cheese Sticks (Weight Watchers)
- Wonton wrappers
- 1 Egg
- Optional: Garlic, Basil, and Parmesan Cheese
- Marinara Sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place 1/2 frozen cheese stick on one end of an wonton wrapper. Fold in the sides, then roll it as tightly as you can, until you get to the opposite edge of the wrapper. Optional: Roll into the basil, garlic and parmesan cheese mixture.
- Place desired number of cheese sticks on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, remove the pan from the oven, flip over the sticks and continue baking for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with marinara sauce.